Saturday, August 7, 2010

Driving Lessons...Life Lessons

We are adding a new driver in our household. Clayton has had his permit for several months now and is taking the "Behind the Wheel" course at Lake Braddock this week. He appears to have few of his father's bad habits as a driver. The few times I have had to correct him for something, I have found myself later, more aware of my own mistakes. One example: a few weeks ago, Clayton approached a stop sign and prepared to stop, only he didn't come to a full stop before making the turn onto the next street. I reminded him that to fail to come to a complete stop on his driving test, would probably result in failing the test, not to mention the danger that rolling through a stop sign invited under normal driving conditions. He acknowledged the correction and has done a much better job when approaching stop signs as a result. A few days after that experience, he was a passenger as I was driving. We approached a stop sign and as I drove away from the intersection he said, "Dad, you didn't come to a full stop," and he was right. We smiled at each other as I acknowledged my transgression, and his recognition that the flaws of his father had been exposed once again.

As parents, we try to teach our children right and wrong, we encourage them to make good choices, and though our words are important, there is no substitute for a good example. Most of us, as parents, have experienced that uncomfortable moment when forced to address the glaring "gap" between what we have said and what we have done as our children have observed. "Caught," we sometimes make excuses for why those rules don't apply to us, or perhaps how the whole thing was just a big misunderstanding...yet, there are times when parents admit before their children that they were wrong...that they fells short...that they (I) should have come to a complete and total stop instead of rolling through the stop sign.

I can tell you that I have thought more about my own driving habits since Clayton has started driving. My driving faults are numerous and I am working to correct them. Clayton, for his part, is gracious in his recognition of those bad habits...usually acknowledging them with a sly smile, or perhaps a cleared throat as subtle reminders that there is still work to be done. I suppose such experiences serve as a reminder that each of us is a work in progress. Whether driving for 37 years or 37 weeks,
we can still learn and improve, no matter what we do.

Our faith journey reminds us of this truth every day. None of us arrive at a place of conclusion this side of heaven, where we know all there is to know or have mastered the truths of Christ-like living to perfection. There is always more to learn, experience, and share, and oh yes, more correction needed.

In Ephesians 4:13, Paul speaks of maturity as the goal of discipleship..."attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ." Maturity doesn't guarantee perfection, but in matters of faith, it does speak to a growing relationship with Christ that is evident in the things we say and do. Narrowing the gap between word and action is indeed a worthy goal for all of us.

In the meantime, I'll be driving with Clayton...hopefully a learning experience for us both!

Jim Abernathy

1 comment:

  1. Clayton will be OK. Being able to drive that first couple of days is a sort of right of passage, especially for a young man. If I survived then Clayton most certainly will be OK. I can't think of a better role model than you.

    Pastor, you were good role model for me in my pursuit of living the right way, and I only see you once or twice a week. I can't imagine how my life might have turned out with you at the helm of my family instead of a moderate to severe alcoholic.
    Anyway, not trying to put you on a pedestal, but if you ever worry if you raised Clayton well, I can assure you that you did!

    Sincerely, Chris S.

    ReplyDelete