Saturday, February 5, 2011

Looking Beyond the Shadow

Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow on Groundhog Day this year which means, according to those who believe in such things, that we will have an early spring. Now I must say that I am not a true believer in Phil's ability to predict the weather, but I must admit, any prediction for an early spring is something I would like to believe in! Who knows, he either does or does not see his shadow...a fifty/fifty proposition. Chances are pretty good that he could be right.

We spend a great deal of our time in wishful thinking. When it comes to the weather, the meteorologists have their computer models and maps, but their forecasts are still simply predictions based on what they think will happen. Yes, their technology has improved through the years, but the outcomes are often still uncertain, mostly because they cannot control the weather. I suppose that often our wishful thinking focuses on things beyond our control. We wish for what we do not have or for what we want to happen. Sometimes those wishes come true, and sometimes....

In the midst of uncertain times, Paul spoke not of wishful thinking, but bold assurance: "I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day." (II TImothy 1:12, TNIV) He believed the gospel message of Jesus Christ to be trustworthy and he gave himself fully in living that truth before the world.

D.L. Moody, nineteenth-century evangelist, once said that the world has yet to see what God can do with one man (or woman) completely committed to Him. The challenge of Moody's words may seem a bit overwhelming to us, and as a result, we are sometimes more comfortable "playing the percentages" of our wishful thinking instead of boldly stepping out in faith to trust the Lord.

I don"t know the accuracy of Punxsutawney Phil's record, but I doubt there are too many people swayed by his annual February predictions. Trusting fully in the living God, however, I can live with assurance in the One who has promised never to leave or forsake me. I don't have to look for a shadow...I believe in the resurrected Christ! That is good news you and I can count on!

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment