Thursday, April 5, 2012

Lenten Devotional...April 5

"And while they were eating, he said, 'Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me.' They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, 'Surely not I, Lord?'”
(Matthew 26:21-22)

Denial is a dark aspect of the human character. To some degree it serves as a shield in the shocking aftermath of traumatic experience, though that protection is short-lived as reality invades. In a more intentional role, denial becomes a shield that we place between ourselves and personal responsibility. "Not me," we might protest when accused. This defense mechanism defers for the moment the weight of responsibility, but often, only for a moment.

Reclining with Jesus around the table for a Passover meal, the disciples are made very uncomfortable when Jesus tells them that one of them will betray him. I can see the heads turning from side to side as these men who had sworn allegiance to Jesus looked to one another for assurance and perhaps, indictment. Across the room the denials began, "Surely not I, Lord?" "You couldn't" mean me," they responded to him and to one another. Judas quickly left the room to complete his act of betrayal, but before the night would be over, everyone in that room would betray Jesus for none of them stood beside him in his darkest hour.

This Maundy Thursday finds us considering the events of that evening. We hear again the story of betrayal and denial. Do we see ourselves around that table, leaving the room, or forsaking Jesus by running from him as he arrested? The opportunities to stand with Christ in the midst of life's challenges come to us again and again. "Surely not I, Lord," we offer..."Surely Not I."

Prayer: Lord Jesus, we, like your closest friends, forsake you at times. Forgive our arrogant ways and our boasts of “Surely, not I.” Amen.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment