Friday, June 1, 2012

Tyranny of Time


No, the wind and rain didn't carry me away.  No, I wasn't hiding in the basement waiting for the tornado to blow over.  No, I wasn't glued to the Doppler 9000 radar watching the green, yellow, red, and magenta colors cross the screen.  It's been a busy day and as a result, I am getting to my Friday Pastor's Notes much later than usual.  "Time is but the stream I go a-fishin' in," said Thoreau.  Like the rising currents in front of my driveway this afternoon that carried away our garbage can, I find time less the stream for fishin' and more the shifting, rushing tide that must be managed if I am going to get done what needs to be done.  That's my story anyway, but you're not impressed...you were fighting your own stormy seas today, just like everybody else.  In reality, few of us are impressed anymore with the busyness of the world around us...we're too caught up in it to realize our own harried contributions to the mania.

I suppose the worst thing that happened today was not the fact that this edition was late.  Some of you won't check your emails for another day or two anyway, so you won't have known you missed me.  Others accidentally, if not somehow consistently, hit the delete button when my emails arrive.  I understand...too much to read, too little time.  In the grand scheme of things, a tardy email most likely has caused little if any concern...just another casualty of a busy schedule.  I wonder, however, if we talked less about our busyness and invested more of our time with those who need or are blessed by our "presence"...family, friends, perhaps the Creator, if we wouldn't worry less about the tyranny of time...just a thought, perhaps a fleeting one.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment