Friday, November 15, 2013

Finding Rest

I heard someone recently talking about the many disappointments and struggles of life that seemed to be piling up.  There was no one thing that had set her concerns off, but the compilation of so many things around her that she had little if any control over.  "Sometimes," she said, "you just feel like giving up!" I understand her frustration and will confess that there are moments when it is tempting to just pull the covers up over your head and forget the world.   That momentary luxury cannot be sustained, for isolating ourselves from the world is not the answer. 
 
Today, I have been hearing the wonderful soprano aria from Handel's Messiah, based on Matthew 11:28, over and over in my mind.  Perhaps it is because we have been spending time in our Wednesday night seminars on the book, "Messiah: The Gospel According to Handel's Oratorio," by Roger Bullard that this is so fresh in my mind.  Or perhaps it is simply the assurance of God's word that comes to us again and again through the words of Jesus that are so significant for our time. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."  These words have been the basis for my pastor's notes before, but somehow, for today, for our world, they bear repeating. 
 
I offer them again to you today for whatever you are facing...frustration, disappointment, perhaps simple weariness; our struggles may vary, but the solution is still the same. "Come to me...I will give you rest."
 
May you find rest in the comforting, compassionate presence of Christ.
 
Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment