Friday, June 24, 2016

Unexpected Detours

Cindy and I attended a concert at Ft. Myer last night.  We have attended a number of functions there over the years from concerts, to funerals, to receptions.  Driving onto the grounds, my memories were stirred by thoughts of previous trips, particularly as I looked over the walls to see the seemingly endless rows of headstones in the adjacent Arlington National Cemetery. We parked near the Old Chapel, where again, I have officiated at several funeral services, then walked or driven through the gate behind the horse-drawn carriage conveying the casket to the gravesite. My purpose in being on the grounds of that old fort last night was for entertainment, but I could not escape the solemn history and significance of that hallowed ground.

My experience last night was not necessarily uncommon, for often we find ourselves focused for a particular purpose, only to be distracted by something more significant.  The concert was great, but as I drove away last night, my thoughts were less on the music and more on the sacrificial service of others.

In some respects, that is the story of our lives, or at least a significant chapter along the way. One thing leads to another, and another, and another, and...  We go in a particular direction, only to find a detour, sometimes of our choosing, and sometimes, chosen for us. I believe that God is at work in these detours, not necessarily causing them, but working in the midst of them.  The prophet Isaiah encourages an often rebellious people to recognize God's hand at work in the experiences of life as he writes in Isaiah 30:21,  "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it." I can't say that I have heard an audible voice in these moments, but I can say that there certainly have been times when I have identified God's guiding hand in these detours.  The key seems to be a willingness to listen, to be aware of God's presence...to be open at the juxtaposition of life's signposts and allow the Spirit to lead.    

Speaking of unexpected detours, Max inadvertently sent my notes before I finished them as he jumped into my lap, accidentally hitting "send" before I completed the message.  He sends his apologies and in doing so reminds us all that even in the smallest of details, there is often the unexpected. Whatever changes, distractions, or surprises await you today, trust God to be at work.  I hope to see you Sunday.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment