Friday, November 18, 2011

Personal Privilege

The stately southern gentlemen stood to his feet and spoke into the microphone. "Sir," he calmly and respectfully said, "I rise to a point of personal privilege." "The chair recognizes you sir," the moderator responded with an equivalent sense of calm and respect. I don't remember what came after that exchange...I was too impressed by the civility of the gentle conversation and the intentional action that propelled the man to interrupt the business of the body to make his own point. Sometimes the significance of the message empowers the interruption.

I rise today to a point of personal privilege. No, there is no moderator to interrupt or heated debate to set aside to make this personal point. I do, however, ask your indulgence to make a point that I believe is significant. The apostle Paul, writing to the church in Philippi, said, "if anything is excellent and if anything is admirable, focus your thoughts on these things: all that is true, all that is holy, all that is just, all that is pure, all that is lovely, and all that is worthy of praise." I am blessed to focus my attention today on something that is worthy of praise, for as God is at work in the human relationships we share, gratitude is indeed an attitude of praise.

Thirty years ago this Monday, November 21, Cindy Fry committed herself to a relationship of love that positioned her for a life of ministry as the spouse of a pastor. I thought then, and have been told a number of times since that day that I was a most fortunate man...'married above my station,' some would say, and I would affirm that they were then and are still today, right in their assessment. I met Cindy when she and I were on staff at First Baptist Church in Scottsburg, Indiana. We were both seminary students, gaining experience through part-time ministry, sharing rides occasionally form Louisville to Scottsburg on weekends. I can't say it was love at first sight...at least from Cindy's perspective. But over a period of time, she came to embrace me as more than a ministry colleague. We were married at Second Mount Pleasant Baptist Church in Franklin, Indiana and began a life together that has indeed been blessed.

I take this moment of personal privilege to confess before you how grateful I am for these past thirty years and for the many blessings that have been mine. I recognize that I have a platform that others do not, and do not take this privilege lightly. My ultimate goal here is to honor the living God whose hand has been at work in our lives through everything we have faced, encouraging, empowering our steps...enticing us to step forward in faith to do what we would not always have chosen to do ourselves. And through it all, Cindy has smiled, made the necessary adjustments, and walked beside me without missing a step. No, we don't walk together at 5 every morning, and no, we aren't always walking in agreement on every detail of life, but we have, and continue now to walk in the path we believe God has led us...partners in ministry and partners in life. That is a journey I am privileged to make with her...that is a walk I am honored to take.

Thank you my dear for thirty years of blessing. As our walk together continues, I look forward to every step. And by the way, you really haven't changed a bit!

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment