Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Lenten Devotional...March 3

Luke 22:47-51
 
When those who were around him saw what was coming, they asked, “Lord, should we strike with the sword?” Then one of them struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his right ear.
(Luke 22:49-50)
 
At least one disciple adhered to a principle that still gets us in trouble today…the ready, fire, aim principle.  In other words, he got a bit ahead of himself.  The disciples were stunned by the arrest of Jesus and the treachery of a friend.  Perhaps in panic, anger, or loyalty, this unnamed disciple of Jesus decided he couldn’t wait for an answer…he struck.
 
I find myself in his shoes.  No, I haven’t struck anyone with a sword, but I have asked questions of Christ without waiting for the answers.  The ability to think and act on my own is a gift of the Creator, but in seeking to follow Christ, I find that I tend to get ahead of him.  Panic, anger, loyalty…perhaps, but more often, impatience. 
 
Jesus quickly stopped the violence and healed the injured man.  In waiting one often sees the hand of God at work.  To ask, then act, without regard to the answer, is to distrust the one whose wisdom you seek.  In the heat of the moment, waiting is difficult.  In the heat of the moment, however, faith can steady the hand and heart.
 
Prayer: Help me, dear Lord, to wait, listen, and learn. Amen.
 

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment