Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Lenten Devotional...March 31

Matthew 7:24-29
 
“…the crowds were amazed at his teaching, because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.”
(Matthew 7:28b-29)
 
On more than one occasion, the gospels speak of the crowd’s amazement in the aftermath of Jesus’ teaching.  Something was different.  Matthew tells us that the difference was the authority with which he spoke.  He didn’t speak of a way that others paved before him; he was the way. He wasn’t simply relaying truths handed down from generation to generation; he was truth.  He didn’t address life as a temporal treasure to be used up; he was life.  Some were appalled at his presumption…others were amazed by his authority.
 
In a series of passages across John’s gospel, Jesus used the first person pronoun, “I,” to speak of his identity and mission.  “I am the bread of life…I am the light of the world…I am the gate…I am the good shepherd…I am the resurrection and the life…”  He spoke of real life experiences in the stories he told, as seen in today’s text.  But he wasn’t simply relaying events to make a point; his authority communicated a purpose and intentionality that captured the attention and stirred the hearts of those who listened.
 
His words still speak authoritatively, if one takes the time to read and truly listen to them.
  
Prayer: May I allow your word to speak with authority to my life today, Lord. Amen.
 

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment