Tuesday, May 5, 2009

An Ounce of Mother...

There is an old Spanish proverb that says, "An ounce of mother is worth a ton of priest." The sentiment speaks volumes to the power of a mother's influence. Many of us are indeed debtors to the women whose love, patience, and wisdom have made such a difference in our lives. We were scrambling at our house this week to purchase and then mail the appropriate gifts for our mothers so they would receive these remembrances in time for Mother's Day. Every year we ponder the particular gift that will arrive in our place since we live so far from our mothers. At best, though always appreciated, these gifts are simple reminders of a love and gratitude too deep to be expressed only by material means. There is no substitute for a loving embrace, a hand held tightly, or the saying of those words that bless a mother's soul..."I love you, mom." So, along with the gift of perfume this year, my mom will receive a card, some flowers, and more important to her and to me, a phone call on Mother's Day. We will review her day, talk about the good time she had at my sister's house with her family in Chattanooga, and then I will try to sum up the blessing that she is to me...but words won't truly tell the story. However, the last thing I will say to her as our Mother's Day conversation comes to a close is, "I love you, mom," and that will be enough for her.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment