Friday, June 17, 2011

Patterns

The Message translates the last part of Ephesians 6:4 with this admonition to fathers: "Take them (children) by the hand and lead them in the way of the Master." There is nothing so significant in the life of a young child as a good example. Children look for patterns upon which to build their own lives. They are truly blessed when they see the example of Christ in one or both of their parents.

My dad died nearly ten years ago, and yet the memories of his example are still fresh in my mind. I remember witnessing his compassion when he hurt with those who hurt, his kindness when confronting those who did not always receive him well, his tenacity to continue moving forward when he could easily have quit, and his commitment to living the faith he held dear. He was not a perfect man, but his example helped me and others follow in the way of Christ, and for that, I am truly grateful.

There is no greater calling for any parent or grandparent, than to take a child by the hand and lead them in the way of Christ. I am grateful that I have had such an example, and continue to pray that I will be that example to my son and to others.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment