Friday, September 21, 2012

Good For Us To Hear


Having spent time in the Trauma ICU unit at Fairfax Hospital with Clay Nettles over the past 48 hours, I have been reminded of the importance of competent, compassionate care.  I have witnessed this care and have also heard Clay remark about how well he has been treated there.  We live in a world of critics, (you and I are some of the harshest, no doubt) where voices of complaint often seem to drown out voice of encouragement.  Now, I know that there are those who will not give competent, compassionate care in such a situation, but my sense is that there is a lot more of the good kind of care than bad, and many of us have been blessed as a result.

Our blessings are many, and yet, we seem too often to take them for granted. Spend some time in a hospital waiting room, sit with a hurting friend, or open the pages of a newspaper or watch the evening news and you will be reminded of struggle, but also of stories of grace and hope.  Perhaps the challenge of the Psalmist is good for us to hear today, whatever we are facing..." I will extol the Lord at all times; his praise will always be on my lips.  I will glory in the Lord; let the afflicted hear and rejoice. Glorify the Lord with me; let us exalt his name together." (Psalm 34:1-3 TNIV) In a world of complaint, that is good news to hear and repeat.
 
Glorify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together....good words for us all.
 
Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment