Friday, November 30, 2012

Perspective On the Unexpected


The day has nearly gotten away and I am sitting down to do what normally is done several hours before...my pastor's notes. Many things have kept me occupied today in ways that I am not normally occupied on Friday. The unforeseen, unscheduled events of life change the routines of everyday expectation. Some days I handle these changes better than others...sometimes these changes bring challenges that rearrange thought and action, Sometimes you just have to give in and go with the flow, caught up in the current as it takes you to places you had not planned to go.

I have always appreciated the apostle Paul's perspective on the unexpected. He wrote to the Philippian Christians, " I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." I don't believe that meant that he never got angry, worried, or frustrated with the unexpected, but he learned through the years and through many different experiences to trust God no matter what. There are days when you just can't get it all done...days when the heaviness of life seems overwhelming...days when you have to remember those now famous words from the final scene of Margaret Mitchell's epic work, as Scarlett O'Hara proclaims, "After all, tomorrow is another day!"

So, we shall see what tomorrow brings. I am confident that there will be surprises there as well, but just as confident that God will be present in it all.

Well, by the time some of you read this, today will have become tomorrow. Make the most of the moments given you, and with each surprise or each affirmation of that which was expected, trust God...after all, tomorrow is another day and the living God has promised to be with you, no matter what.

Jim Abernathy     

No comments:

Post a Comment