Friday, April 3, 2015

Lenten Devotional...Good Friday

John 16:32-33
“The hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each one to his home, and you will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone because the Father is with me.”
(John 16:32)
Jesus tried to prepare his disciples for what was to come.  He told them what awaited him in Jerusalem, even the part they would play.  Yet, they seemed unable to comprehend his words.  Peter pledged his life to Jesus as did the others, but Jesus knew they would not honor that commitment. 
Indeed, the disciple’s silence is deafening as Jesus is condemned to die, then made to carry his own cross to Golgotha.  A stranger, Simon, does for Jesus what none of his disciples would do, as he carries his cross.  On the cross, his body broken, bearing the sins of the world, it seemed that even God had forsaken him. 
Jesus’ words, however, give evidence to a greater hope, even in the loneliness of what he would face.  “I am not alone because the Father is with me.”  There are moments when we wonder where God is, yet the words of Jesus reassure us that we must ultimately trust, even when the darkness closes in.
On this Good Friday, the power of love is displayed on the cross.  Ultimate hope is found in Jesus’ words of preparation…”I am not alone because the Father is with me.”
Prayer: The cross again reminds me of my own betrayal, Lord.  On this day, give me strength to carry my cross, knowing that you are with me. Amen.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment