Sunday, January 24, 2016

Shelter Thoughts...A Sunday Devotional

Since we cannot gather together this morning, I have prepared a brief devotional thought based on Psalm 57.  It is below.  As you read this great Psalm by yourself or with your family, may you be reminded of God's presence in the midst of the storm and of the opportunities we have to share his steadfast love, yes, even in the storm. 
 
I hope to see you soon, but until then, let us pray for one another and for our community, and let us be reflections of Christ's love, even in the storm.
 

------------------

Shelter Thoughts
Psalm 57
January 24, 2016

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge, until the destroying storms pass by. I cry to God Most High, to God who fulfills his purpose for me. He will send from heaven and save me, he will put to shame those who trample on me. God will send forth his steadfast love and his faithfulness. I lie down among lions that greedily devour human prey; their teeth are spears and arrows, their tongues sharp swords. Be exalted, O God, above the heavens. Let your glory be over all the earth. They set a net for my steps; my soul was bowed down. They dug a pit in my path, but they have fallen into it themselves. My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast. I will sing and make melody. 8Awake, my soul! Awake, O harp and lyre! I will awake the dawn. I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. 10 For your steadfast love is as high as the heavens; your faithfulness extends to the clouds. 11 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens. Let your glory be over all the earth.

I sit in the warmth of my living room this evening, electricity powering the lights that illuminate the darkness and give life to my computer.  The gas furnace is keeping the room warm and the refrigerator is packed with enough food for days if not weeks.  I would not know there is a storm outside, except that I am sitting next to the door that looks out over the deck, and there I see what looks to be about three feet of drifted snow.  Amidst the still falling snow I look thoughtfully at the nearly submerged patio furniture and think of barbeques on warm summer nights.  It’s a remembrance that warms my heart in a cold, cold season.

“In the shadow of your wings I will take refuge,” the Psalmist writes, “until the destroying storms pass by.”  His words are encouraging tonight amidst falling snow, biting winds, and an aching back from shoveling the driveway “one more time.”  The storm will pass by, the snow will melt, and somewhere in the next few months, spring will overtake winter and shovels and gloves will find their proper places in the corner of the garage and the bottom drawer of the dresser. 

Until then, however, there is more work to be done, snow to be cleared away, the storm and its remnants seen through to the end. The Psalmist’s words are faithful reminders in the midst of the storm; “I will give thanks to you, O Lord…for your steadfast love is as high as the heavens.”  Gratitude is a gift we offer God in the midst of the storm.  As I am grateful for the shelter of my home in this winter storm, I am more grateful for the shelter of God’s love, no matter the storm.

A final thought…not everyone can claim this blessing of shelter. Though God’s grace extends to all, some do not know of this love or choose to find other means of shelter in their life’s storms.  Sharing God’s love is a calling you and I are to embrace as followers of Jesus Christ.  The world about us most likely won’t see that love unless we reflect that love. Storms will come and go, but the steadfast love of God should be seen in you and me, regardless.  And those who literally seek shelter from the raging elements need to find it in the kindness and compassion of people like you and me. Many will not sit in the comfort of their homes, as I do tonight, and find refuge. They need to know someone cares for them.  You and I will have opportunity to do that in late February as we host hypothermia week at Westwood.  But what opportunity might we have between now and then to welcome, encourage, or otherwise bring blessing to someone in the name of the Lord?

Let us, in the words of the Psalmist, “awake the dawn,” and proclaim through our words and actions that God is love and God’s sheltering arms are open to all. May you know and share this great good news…even in the storm.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment