Friday, May 10, 2013

Connections and Kingdom Living

Yesterday was a study in contrast of the folks I minister with and to in our Westwood family.  The morning began in the office with various conversations and meetings with ministry staff and volunteers. We are very blessed by the people who serve our community of faith.  I ended the morning with our Mother's Day Out children as we sang together in preparation for their MDO end of year program.  What a fun group!  The smiles on their faces and the energy in their steps made me smile and thank God for the treasure they are.  From there I went to Clarendon for a faculty meeting at The Leland Center where we approved the graduation list for one of the largest graduating classes in the school's history and heard of new degree and certificate programs that will open theological study to more folks in our region.  I left there and headed to the www.go Ladies Tea.  Much time and effort went into preparing for this special event and it was obvious that it was a labor of love on the part of those who put it together.  I was grateful to be welcomed in such wonderful company and to sit with women whose stories of family and life enriched my day.  With apologies for arriving late and then leaving early, I made my way to the track beside Irving Middle School where one of our Keene Mill Elementary School students was participating in a school sponsored twelve-lap run. I was invited to come and cheer her on.  Together with her family and a variety of other supporters who had come from around the community, we cheered her and other runners as they made their way around the track.  I jumped in the car, made my way quickly home to pick up Cindy and Clayton and we headed off to meet friends for dinner.  It was a full day indeed!
 
I offer this glimpse of yesterday's events as reminder of the varied and wonderful connections we share through our Westwood family.   Young, old, in the church building and in the community, one on one and interacting with a group, there are so many opportunities to celebrate Christ at work in the world all around us.  I can't say that every day is quite so full or varied, but I can say that every day has its opportunities.  We must make the most of them.  So, what's on your agenda for today?  How is the weekend shaping up for you?  Busyness doesn't insure purposeful living, but looking for opportunities to serve and celebrate the moments of life is vital to Kingdom living. 
 
It's a beautiful day, the opportunities are before us all to enjoy this day and make a difference in the name of Christ.  Let's do it!  Let's celebrate this day!
 
Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment