Friday, May 17, 2013

Think Before You Speak

It's funny sometimes how your words came back to haunt you.  Amidst the coughing and sneezing in our April vision council meeting as various members spoke of their allergy woes, I countered, quite cheerfully as I recall, that though I used to have allergy problems, I hadn't been bothered by them in several years.  Perhaps I was too smug in my assessment and needed a lesson in humility; maybe I needed a reminder about being more sensitive to the needs of others, or maybe this is just one of the worst allergy seasons in a long while and it has finally caught up to me.  I have wished several times over the last few weeks that I had just kept my mouth shut and suffered along with the rest of the bleary eyed, sniffling masses.
 
Most, if not all of us, have said things we have regretted.  In the heat of emotion...in the rush of our busy lives...in social or workplace settings where we feel pressured to contribute, we sometimes speak, yet wish we hadn't.  Words have a power all their own and once said, are indeed difficult to reclaim.  Perhaps we would be well served to remember that in every setting our words are first and foremost gifts to God. We think often of the Psalmist's words in the context of praise and worship, and yet, I think they speak clearly to every word that comes from our mouths.  "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer." (Psalm 19:14 NRSV)  Many of us memorized the Psalmist's words years ago, but live at times as if we have forgotten them.  Ours is most likely not a problem of forgetfulness, but rather, application.  Scripture means little if we do not apply its truths to our daily lives. 
 
Think before you speak? Absolutely, but more than that, think of what God would have you say before you speak.  For most of us, there would be a lot less mess to clean up!
 
I must bring this edition to a close, my box of Kleenex needs to be replenished.  I hope to see you Sunday!
 

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment