Sunday, December 11, 2011

Advent Devotional - December 11

December 11
Psalm 42:3-5

“These things I remember…how I used to go to the house of God…with shouts of joy and praise.”
Psalm 42:4

Christmas is for many, a remembrance of joy. Perhaps it is simply a nostalgic view of what once was as current realities give way to the wonder of childhood memories. For some, the holidays serve as reminder of what has been lost as friends and loved ones are no longer with us…more a remembered experience than a current event.

In today’s text, the Psalmist remembers joy in the midst of his struggle. We do not fully know the context of his struggle, but he has clearly been diminished in some way that now keeps him from doing what he once took great joy in. He speaks of his brokenness as he remembers the joy of past experience. His is a remembrance of joy.

Disappointment, grief, poor health, loneliness…these and other feelings in the context of the ever-changing landscape of our lives can make the experience of joy something only remembered. And yet, the Psalmist, as his memory is stirred, speaks of a future hope and sense of joy as he says in verse 5, “Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again—my Savior and my God.”

Advent does indeed call us to reflection, but there is also a great sense of anticipation along this road. It is an awakening to possibility, love, and presence…God’s presence with us.

Sharlande Sledge, in her book of prayers and litanies, writes, “Come, Lord Jesus, and bring joy to our world. Joy to the one who needs to know that though your love encompasses the whole world, it is particular enough to meet each grief and loss as though it were the only pain in the world.”

If the remembrance of joy better marks your Advent and Christmas season this year, call to mind again and again the words of the Psalmist, “I will praise Him again…”

Prayer: Loving God, restore unto me the joy of your salvation. Amen.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment