Monday, December 12, 2011

Advent Devotional - December 12

December 12
Jeremiah 31:2-7

“You will pick up your tambourines again and dance with those who are joyful.”
Jeremiah 31:4b

I’m not much of a dancer. That probably doesn’t surprise you. It’s not that I think it’s an evil or unhealthy use of time. For me, it’s more a matter of coordination, or lack thereof, though I can tell you that there have been a few occasions in my life when I have thrown caution to the wind, stepped on my partner’s toes, and joyously “tripped the light fandango!” (Tripped is an appropriately descriptive term for the kind of dancing I do!)

Often, as in the context of our scripture lesson for today, dancing is an expression of pure joy…a release of human emotion that cannot be contained. Jeremiah, not known for his exuberantly joyful expressions, calls the people to rejoice in the hope that God has not forsaken them, even in their sin. The New Century Version translates the words of the Lord as spoken through Jeremiah in verse three of our text, "I love you people with a love that will last forever.” These were words of promise that would find their fulfillment in the coming of Jesus, the Christ.

For a people devastated by the consequences of their sin, these were words of promise that turned their despair into hope. They had not been forsaken…God would bring salvation.

So, dear friends, benefactors of God’s great love as given for all through Jesus Christ, let us pick up our tambourines and dance with the joyful. Now, I can’t promise that I won’t step on your toes as we dance together, but then, I suppose preachers are known for doing that on occasion. This news is simply too good to keep to ourselves. Let’s dance!

Prayer: Lord of all, may each step we take in this season of Advent be a joyful expression of the blessing we share through Jesus Christ. Amen.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment