Friday, February 3, 2012

Rest, Renew, Recharge

The battery on my computer is growing weaker..says there is perhaps 20 minutes left before it is expended completely. With that in mind, I will be brief today... the battery problem with my computer can be rectified with a power cord and electrical outlet. Once connected, power flows immediately into the computer and I can work while it charges. If, however, there is no access to electricity, the cord is faulty, or misplaced, the screen soon goes dark and the computer becomes useless.

Sometimes our batteries grow weak in the everyday occurrences of life. We grow tired, weary, unsure about next steps. How do you recharge when your physical, emotional, and spiritual batteries wear down? Jesus told his followers in the midst of what were often very trying and tiring circumstances, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Jesus knew something about burdens and weariness. The gospel writers tells us that Jesus knew the struggles of the people and was moved with compassion. His invitation in Matthew 11:28 is a call to renewal, rest, and yes, recharging.

My computer signals me when it is time for recharging. God's word signals us about the need for renewal as it tells us the stories of generations of men and women who have emerged amidst the trials and weariness of their lives to become conquerors. Never is it in their strength alone, but always by the empowering presence of the Holy Spirit of God.

The battery indicator on my computer is flashing, "Danger! Danger!". I'll connect it to the source that gives it life. I remind you that there is a source of life-giving power as well that you can connect to. "Learn from me," Jesus said, "for I am gentle and humble of heart." Rest, renew, recharge...that is a connection we all need to make!

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment