Sunday, February 17, 2013

Lenten Devotional...February 17

Psalm 32

It is hard to overestimate the gift of forgiveness. The Psalmist is empowered by such a gift, committing himself to walk anew in the way of the Lord…to rejoice, even sing! “I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.’ And you forgave the guilt of my sin.”
 
Lent leads us to the cross of Christ, the ultimate symbol of forgiveness and grace. There we are confronted by the One whose sacrifice empowers next steps. Forgiven, we move in the shadow of the cross to forgive others…forgiven, we move to become more of what God created us to become.
 
Issac Watts, in the fourth verse of his hymn text, “Alas! And Did My Savior Bleed” offers this challenge: “But drops of grief can ne’er repay the debt of love I owe. Here, Lord, I give myself away, tis’ all that I can do.”
 
Lord, I give myself away…what does forgiveness empower you to do?

Prayer: Gracious God, may the forgiveness we know through Jesus Christ empower our thoughts and actions this day. Amen.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment