Thursday, February 21, 2013

Lenten Devotional...February 21

II Timothy 1:3-7


I received my first guitar when I was thirteen, a fine instrument, procured as many such treasures were at that time, from the Sears Catalog. The instrument’s quality wasn’t as important to me then as its availability. It had six strings, picks, and a Mel Bay chord book…everything I needed to become the next Les Paul!

While I learned quickly, I must say I have never threatened Mr. Paul as an excellent guitarist. I did take a passion for music, however, and turn it into something I have enjoyed over the years and used occasionally in ministry settings. You might say I fanned into flame a spark that my parent’s helped ignite with a simple purchase.

Paul encouraged a young colleague in ministry to “fan into flame the gift of God” he had been given. Timothy shared a rich heritage of faith with his mother and grandmother, and had been set apart for ministry by Paul. The spark had been lit…now, Paul was saying, the flame must burn brightly.

The work of salvation has been done through the cross of Christ. If you have by faith embraced Christ, then there is for you this simple question…is that spark of faith being fanned into flame within you?

Prayer: Light of the World, may the spark of faith be fanned into flame within our hearts. Amen.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment