Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Lenten Devotional...April 16

"Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lordand turn away from evil. It will be a healing for
 your flesh and a refreshment for your body.”
(Proverbs 3:7-8)
 
Victor Hugo once wrote, “Wisdom is a sacred communion.  Along the Lenten journey, one comes to realize that human wisdom is sorely lacking in the shadow of the cross.  There, the ugliness of sin meets the wonder of God’s love.  There, human wisdom is exposed for its shortsightedness.  There, the wisdom of God brings healing in sacrifice, mercy in the midst of humiliation.
 
The admonition of the wise writer of Proverbs is a clear call to sacred communion.  To depend on my own wisdom is failure.  To trust in the One who has created me in His holy image brings healing and refreshment.  Turn away from evil…turn toward the Lord.
 
Prayer: I ask for wisdom today, Lord, for I cannot…I must not lean upon my own understanding.  Guide my thoughts, my words, and my steps. Amen.
 
Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment