Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Lenten Devotional...April 8

“The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time on and forevermore.”
(Psalm 121:8)
 
No matter the hour, no matter how late I came in, my dear mother always knew.  It wasn’t that she stayed up to wait for me or greeted me at the door when I would come home in the wee hours of the morning. Though I would tip toe down the hall as quietly as I could past her room, she always called out softly, “Is that you, Jim.”  She knew it was me and her question was not about personal identification.  Those four words were her way of letting me know she was there, that she cared about me, and that she was aware of more than I realized.
 
The Psalmist acknowledges his need for God in this wonderful 121st Psalm. “My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth,” he writes. He finds it reassuring that God knows his comings and goings.  I’m not sure I always appreciated my mother’s awareness those many years ago, but now as I reflect on those memories, I see the example of the Creator who was and is always there, always caring about me, always aware of more than I realize.
 
Prayer:  Thank you, Lord, for letting me know you are there.  Amen.
 

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment