Friday, May 9, 2014

Laughter Is a Reward

There are two things I can always count on when I have a phone conversation with my mother.  She will always tell me she loves me and there will always be laughter somewhere in the conversation.  Her gentle spirit and good humor have endeared her to many people over the years, not the least of whom are her family.  Her laughter most often emerges in the context of life events, something funny she tells about herself or something she hears someone else share.  My mother's good humor is a by-product of her positive outlook on life.  She has always been an encourager, one who looks on the bright side, challenging others by word and action to do the same.
 
Carol Channing, whose Broadway successes were often built around musical comedy, once wrote, "Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty.  Laughter is a reward."  I look forward to calling my mother this Sunday.  Yes, I will be wishing her a happy Mother's Day, letting her know how much she means to me.  But my reward will come in the midst of the conversation as laughter sprinkles love and good humor among the stories we share. 
 
The U.S. Navy Chamber Band will perform at 3 p.m. tomorrow at Westwood.  We will gather for worship Sunday, hearing special music from our FundaySchool Singers, Preschool Choir, and Youth and Sanctuary Choirs, and testimonies from four generations of our Westwood family who will be expressing gratitude for the blessings they have received from their mothers.
 
Finally, remember, laughter is a reward.  Share a smile and a laugh with someone today.
 
Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment