Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lenten Devotional...March 11

"In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly.
(Psalm 5:3)

My wife Cindy is a morning person. She is not just a morning person, she is a MORNING PERSON!!! The day begins for her sometime after 4 a.m., or so she tells me...I am not usually aware of the world's existence at that time. She enjoys the quiet predictability of her morning routines. Clayton and I are certainly comfortable in allowing her the freedom to enjoy these early morning routines and are resigned to our supporting roles in our slumbering states.
The Psalmist is indeed a morning person. He calls to the Lord in the morning, making his requests known with the assurance that God hears and will respond. It is this assurance that empowers his declaration to "wait expectantly," for God's response. The New Century Version translates the last part of this third verse, "Every morning, I tell you what I need, and I wait for your answer." To begin the day in prayer and anticipation is a good model for the person of faith.

One of my favorite Negro spirituals is "Give Me Jesus." The text simply says, "In the morning, when I rise, In the morning, when I rise, In the morning, when I rise, give me Jesus. Give me Jesus, Give me Jesus, You can have all this world, But give me Jesus."

Whether you are a morning person or not, to begin the day knowing that the Creator of the universe hears your voice and speaks as you wait, empowers the bold assurance..."You can have all this world, but give me Jesus."

Prayer: Gracious God, in the morning when I rise, give me Jesus, Amen.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment