Monday, March 5, 2012

Lenten Devotional...March 5

"When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise—in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?"
(Psalm 56:3-4)

From things that go bump in the night, to planes that are flown into buildings, to tornados that devastate property, life, and limb, there are a host of things that frighten us in the daylight hours and keep us awake thinking about them in the darkness of night. The Psalmists often speak of their fears, from avowed enemies, to the threats of nature, even to the God they call upon in times of great need. There is little about their emotional and spiritual struggle that we do not share. The fears of the unknown and known translate through the centuries and drive our concerns still today.

The writer of our text for today does not deny fear, but rather matter-of-factly acknowledges its presence in his life. Just as certain as fear threatens, however, is his commitment to put his trust in the God he praises. He declares, "...in God I trust and am not afraid." On more than one occasion Jesus comforted his disciples by telling them not to be afraid. In the fourteenth chapter of John's gospel, he seeks to calm his disciples fear in the midst of uncertain times as he says, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." Very soon the threats of the Pharisees and others who despised Jesus would become reality. Even after his resurrection and ascension, he would no longer be physically present with them. The peace he was offering them did not preclude trials and challenges, but was a gift to enable them to face those fears knowing that God would be with them no matter what they faced. The Psalmist's closing question became a powerful statement to these who would struggle for the cause of Christ..."What can mere mortals do to me?"

In a world of continuing threats, the Psalmist's question is ours as well...what can mere mortals do to me? The God we praise is indeed capable of being our strength in times of trouble. Fear is a part of life...faith in the living God is the key to victory.

Prayer: God of comfort, hear my prayer in the midst of my fears and help me trust in you, regardless of the threat. Amen.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment