Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Advent Devotional, December 17

Mark 1:1-8
 
“Now John was clothed with camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey.”
(Mark 1:6)
 
John the Baptist had a singular calling.  The prophet Isaiah spoke of it hundreds of years before John’s birth.  “I am sending my messenger ahead of you who will prepare your way; the voice of one crying out in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of the Lord.”  That was John’s mission: prepare the way of the Lord.
 
From what we know of John, he was a man who took this calling seriously.  He cared little for the kinds of things you and I appreciate, like a roof overhead, warm clothing, and a varied menu.  Scripture tells us that he lived in the desert, wore a camel hair suit, and ate locusts and honey.  This was a man whose passion allowed him little room for anything else. Some would view this picture as too extreme and cite it as further evidence of the difficulty in answering God’s call.  (You know, I’m not so sure I would have lasted too long in his shoes, or should I say, his sandals.) 
 
That’s part of our message, however, for today.  The calling of God is unique to every one of us.  We are still called to prepare the way, to tell others of Jesus’s coming, but God uses each of our gifts in the one-of-a-kind manner in which we each have been created.  The season of Advent offers opportunity to give witness to God’s great gift of love in the child of Bethlehem, but there is no one way to do it.
 
Most likely, you won’t find me wandering the dessert in a hairy camel hide, and even with lots of cheese on top, I don’t think I could stomach those locusts.  The good news is, I don’t have to.  I simply need to be who God called me to be…that will be challenging enough!
 
Prayer: You create us each in your image, dear God, yet you fashion us as unique beings.  Use that uniqueness to help spread the good news and prepare the way of the Lord. Amen.
 
Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment