Monday, December 22, 2014

Advent Devotional, December 22

Psalm 118:1-14
 
“Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me in a broad place. With the Lord on my side I do not fear.  What can mortals do to me?
(Psalm 118:5-6)
 
Wouldn’t it be great to live without fear?  The Psalmist reminds us that in that moment of trust when we truly place ourselves in the hands of God, fear does not consume us.  I don’t think the writer is claiming here that he is never afraid, but in those moments, those glimpses of faith when he acknowledges that God really is who He says He is, there is a level of trust that empowers him to stand in a broad place to face, and even overcome the challenges before him.
 
This truth played out again and again in the characters of scripture that faced overwhelming threats and yet, found the courage to overcome.  Mary would be a good example of this.  Called by God to a task that surely must have been frightening, she was willing to trust God and in the process, risk herself.  Mary’s response to the angel’s message is a simple, but determined declaration; “I am the servant of the Lord. May it be unto me according to your word.”  Sounds as if she is echoing the essence of the Psalmist’s words…”With the Lord on my side I do not fear.”
 
Prayer: Lord, with you by my side, I will not be afraid. Amen.
 

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment