Thursday, December 4, 2014

Advent Devotional, December 4

Psalm 18:27-30
 
“It is you who light my lamp;
    the Lord, my God, lights up my darkness.”
                                                                (Psalm 18:28)
 
The Psalmist writes in praise for deliverance he attributes to the hand of God.  His petition is heard in verse 6 of this 18th chapter as he writes, “In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I cried for help.” The response is seen in verse 16, “He reached down from on high, he took me; he drew me out of mighty waters.”   
 
From the Garden, to the wilderness wanderings, to the cross, God has been at work to offer deliverance to a fallen, sinful human creation.  The darkness of human sin is overcome by the One who lights our lamp, the One whose word is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path. 
 
During these December days, the darkness seems to crowd out the light with each passing day.  As I sit in our family room, the lights from the candles in the windows and the Christmas tree in the corner of the room cut through the darkness.  These special lights of the season remind me that God’s great gift of deliverance, born in Bethlehem, indeed lights up my darkness.
 
Prayer: Come again, Lord Jesus, and light my lamp. Amen.
 

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment