Saturday, July 4, 2015

July 4

With hand upon heart I thank the Lord For this my native land,
For all I love is here within her gates.
My soul is rooted deeply in the soil on which I stand,
For these are mine own United States.
                             (Don Raye)
 
I remember singing the great American folk song, "This is My Country" in elementary school.  As a child I learned to value the nation of my birth and began to understand the responsibilities of citizenship.  Now, some fifty years later, on this 4th of July, I find myself thinking about this text, and though my perspective is hopefully a bit more mature, there is still a sense of wonder and appreciation for "this, my native land."  Citizens and friends of this nation will gather today in homes, along parade routes, in parks and backyards across our land to celebrate the freedoms we enjoy and to hear again and again the stories of our country's 239 year history.
 
Take a moment today to do what Don Raye's lyric calls us to do...'thank the Lord for this my native land."  To do so is not to claim that we are favored above other nations in God's eyes, but it does mean that we recognize we are blessed to live in a free land...a place of sacrifice and service that offers great opportunity and calls us to great responsibility.   
 
We will take a few moments in our service tomorrow morning to give thanks for our country and to allow you to voice your gratitude.  Again, during July and August, our dress is more casual and worship less formal, so if you have guests from out of town, or a friend or neighbor nearby, invite them to join you.  I look forward to seeing you.
 

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment