Thursday, March 14, 2013

Lenten Devotional...March 14


Psalm 130

I sat impatiently in the drive-thru lane the other day. I had already placed my order and was ready to get my food and move on in the best traditions of fast food living, but the line was not moving. I strained my head out the window to catch a glimpse of the delay, but there was nothing visible to explain this growing inconvenience. (We are willing at times to settle for diminished quality in return for speedy service. Eat and run are the operative words in the context of our busy lifestyles.) I suppose the length of time I waited was not all that long, but in that moment, it seemed like an eternity!

We wait for very little anymore, but even when we do wait, there are a host of diversions, including our smart phones, tablets, and laptops that fill those waiting moments with mindless distractions that are soon forgotten. The idea of thoughtful pondering is a foreign concept to many of us. The Psalmist says, "I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I hope." Is it possible that God speaks to us in the waiting moments of life...even in the drive-thru? Perhaps if we put our cell phones down, turn off the radio, and take a deep breath, even in those brief moments of delay, God will speak. The question is, are we listening?

Prayer: In the waiting moments of life, O Lord, may we listen for your voice. Amen.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment