Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Advent Devotional, December 1

Psalm 5:1-3

"O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I plead my case to you, and watch." 
(Psalm 5:3)

The Psalmist seems certain of one thing that serves him well...God listens to his voice.  This particular Psalm is attributed to David. He recognizes the threats all around him, but he also trusts in the One whose steadfast love, he believes, will sustain him. He calls out to God, and then he watches to see the wonder of God.

The story of Christmas tells us that God has heard the cries of Creation and acted in the incarnation as The Word became flesh and dwelled among human beings.  We watch the story unfold through the Old Testament prophets and witness its fulfillment in the birth of the baby Jesus in Bethlehem.  The promise is fulfilled, but is there reason for us to still watch?
  
Advent challenges us to do just that...to watch and trust once more in the steadfast love of God.

Prayer: O Lord, in the morning, I plead my case to you...and I watch. Amen.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment