Monday, December 21, 2015

Advent Devotional, December 21

 Psalm 62:1-2
 
"For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall never be shaken."
 
Silence is something we don't always associate with Christmas.  Though we may sing of a silent night, many of us struggle to find quiet moments in an often chaotic time.  
 
The Psalmist speaks of the unique relationship he has with God; "For God alone my soul waits in silence."  Here is recognition of the personal relationship between Creator and creation that blossoms in silence.  Listening for the voice of God is an intentional act done best in stillness.  Jesus encouraged his disciples to seek a quiet place to pray.  He wasn't limiting them to a particular room or time of day, but calling them to quiet, purposeful prayer.  
 
In some respects, the busiest days of the Christmas season may be the next few as final preparations are made.  Take seriously the words of the Psalmist and wait in silence for God.  In the midst of a chaotic world, you will not be shaken.
 
Prayer: I wait in silence for your voice, Lord. Amen.
 
Jim Abernathy 

No comments:

Post a Comment