Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Advent Devotional, December 8

Psalm 37:23-24
 
"Our steps are made firm by the Lord,
    when he delights in our way;  though we stumble, 
we shall not fall headlong, for the Lord holds us  by the hand."
 
Presence is vital to relationship.  One can stay connected by email or text, even see the face of a friend or loved one by Skype, but all are poor substitutes for presence.  
 
The story of Christmas is a story of presence; God becoming one of us in Jesus. Before the incarnation, however, the Spirit of God was at work in ways that often spoke of presence.  The imagery of today's text illustrates this as the Psalmist's steps are made secure in knowing that even if he stumbles, God will be with him, holding his hand.
 
We walk in places that are uneven, places where disappointment, worry, and fear can easily cause us to stumble.  Yet, there is the calm assurance that God walks with us, holding us by the hand.  Skinned knees, sore ankles, stubbed toes...yes, but falling headlong into the abyss of hopelessness; no, the Lord holds us by the hand.      
 

Prayer: When my way grows drear precious Lord linger near; when my life is almost gone. Hear my cry, hear my call, hold my hand lest I fall. Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home. (Precious Lord, Take My Hand...Thomas Dorsey)

No comments:

Post a Comment