Friday, December 4, 2015

Advent Devotional, December 4

Psalm 86:11-13
 
"Teach me your way, O LORD that I may walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart to revere your name."
(Psalm 86:11)
 
I remember Miss Lovinggood saying to our eighth grade class, "Now childring," (only person I ever knew who had an alternate pronunciation for children) "let me have your undivided attention."  This was a call to compliance, a call to focus...a call to leave your neighbor alone and sit still. All eyes were to be on her and all ears were to be listening for her next word.  This was not a moment for distraction, but instead, an expectation of unity.
 
The Psalmist understands the need for oneness, unity in his own heart and mind as he comes before the Lord in praise.  There are lessons to learn, truth to be embraced, and this cannot happen in a divided heart.  
 
Advent is a call to unity of heart and mind, to singular focus. The Savior of the world is coming, the pathway is being prepared.  There can be no division of heart and mind on this journey, but simple faith and rapt attention...all eyes, all ears, all hearts listening for the next Word.
 
Prayer: May I have an undivided heart, O Lord...watching, waiting, listening for the next Word from you. Amen.
 
Jim Abernathy  

No comments:

Post a Comment