Thursday, February 11, 2016

Lenten Devotional, February 11

Psalm 37:23-24

“Our steps are made firm by the Lord, when he delights in our way;
though we stumble, we shall not fall headlong,
    for the Lord holds us by the hand.”

I remember those “hand in hand days,” long, long ago. There are grainy, black and white photos of my father and I, walking together in the springtime of our relationship.  He has the firm and steady grip and gait…I, the uncertain toddling way.  These pictures capture a particular instance far removed from my memory, but now cherished in the evidence they offer of his sure and certain love.

The Psalmist offers evidence in today’s text of God’s love for a stumbling, sometimes falling human creation.  The differences are undeniable, but so too is the strength of One who holds tightly to the toddling, uncertain child. Herein is our hope, even in our sin, “for the Lord,” the Psalmist writes, “holds us by the hand.” 

Prayer: Gracious God, in my stumbling, hold tightly to my hand, that I may walk with you. Amen.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment