Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Lenten Devotional...February 23

Psalm 62:2-3a

“From the end of the earth I call to you,
When my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock
That is higher than I; for you are my refuge…”

There are a number of beautiful lighthouses on the eastern seaboard.  I have climbed to the top of a few in Maine and North Carolina.  They have been prominently placed along the shoreline to give warning and guidance to ships in distress, often in inclement weather. 

The Psalmist reminds us today that in life’s storms, when the heart is faint, there is a rock higher than ourselves that becomes refuge and help.  These words are echoed in Psalm 46 as the writer says, “God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in time of trouble, therefore we will not fear.”  Your steps today may be uncertain, the winds of disappointment and change may buffet, but cling to the rock that is higher than you for there you will find refuge.

Prayer: Eternal God, Rock of Ages, guide me safely to find refuge in you today. Amen.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment