Monday, February 22, 2016

Lenten Devotional...February 22

John 6:48-51

“I am the bread of life.”
(John 6:48)

As I write this devotional, someone has just brought me a sandwich. Physical nourishment empowers mental productivity, though I’m not sure fast food is the best writing fuel!  (I’m convinced it’s chocolate pie!)

Today’s text is ultimately disturbing to many who followed Jesus.  In speaking of himself as the bread of life, he called those who would follow to be filled with him, embracing his sacrifice as life-giving nourishment.  He offered them a glimpse of the cost of discipleship that some were unwilling to embrace.  Verse 66 says many turned away and deserted him.

The elements of communion remind us of sacrifice and nourishment.  The body and blood of Christ were broken and spilled as an offering of salvation.  His sacrifice became our eternal nourishment and hope, thus we embrace the bread of life in remembrance of God’s great love. 

Prayer: Living Bread, fill and nourish my soul that I may continue to walk in your way. Amen.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment