Friday, February 12, 2016

Lenten Devotional...February 12

Ezekiel 18:25-32

“Cast away from you all the transgressions that you have committed against me, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit!”
(Ezekiel 18:31)

I love the smell of a new car.  It used to entice me to showrooms and car lots where an open door became yet another opportunity to dream.  Some have tried to bottle this tempting fragrance and sell it to those who want the illusion of a new car smell, but it’s a poor substitute for the real thing.

Today’s text calls the sinner to seek a new heart and spirit.  The old has been tainted by rebellious, self-centered ways. One cannot exchange the old body and spirit for new ones, for renewal here, comes from within.  The grace and mercy of God restores and renews, making all things new…not a poor substitute, but indeed, the real thing.

Prayer: Help me let go, dear Lord, of the sin that too often marks me.  Make me new once more by your grace and mercy. Amen.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment