Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Lenten Devotional...February 17

Mark 1:35-39

“In the morning, while it was still very dark, he got up and went out to a deserted place, and there he prayed.”
(Mark 1:35)

“Rise and shine,” my mother cheerily sang as she turned on the light and opened the shades. I can’t say I always appreciated her wakeup call. Her true purpose was to invite me again to confront a world I would rather have ignored for a few more hours. The darkness of cold winter mornings still don’t entice, though Cindy’s attempts to reform me continue.

Jesus embraced the darkness, not as an escape, but a means of preparation. He rises early in Mark’s narrative to spend time in prayer. We are often called to emulate his actions, as if righteousness is best served in the wee hours of the morning. However, even in the early morning darkness, his quiet moments were interrupted as his disciples called him back to the demands of the day.

Rising early, pausing in the middle of the day, spending quiet moments in the evening…there is no magic in the clock. The message of the text isn’t the hour, but the commitment to the task. The Lenten journey calls us to these quiet moments.

Prayer: Creator God, who marks time with your own hands, please help me make time for you this day. Amen.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment