Monday, March 14, 2016

Lenten Devotional...March 14

Luke 18:15-17
 
"Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it."
(Luke 18:17)
 
Having returned recently from India, I have been asked what had the greatest impact on me during those days.  It would be hard to isolate one experience, but among the many blessings that still capture my thoughts and heart were the children.  In every village, church, or school we visited, their sweet smiles welcomed us warmly.  We didn’t share a spoken language, but love isn’t confined by words.  In many cases they exemplified pure joy in meeting new friends, genuine appreciation in receiving the gifts we brought, or simple curiosity in encountering guests who had come from so far away.  Their smiles are as fresh in my memory today as the moment I met them.
 
I am grateful that Jesus chose a child to define God’s kingdom.  What a beautiful picture!  Perhaps we need to revisit this portrait of kingdom living, rediscover the child of God we each are to be, and then remember…“Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world. Red, brown, yellow, black, and white, they are precious in his sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world.” 
 
Prayer: Loving God, may my heart and mind be open like a child’s, that I might trust you more every day.  And may my heart, mind, and arms be open to receive a child in your name, for of such is the kingdom of heaven. Amen.
 

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment