Thursday, March 3, 2016

Maturing

When describing myself these days, I often use the word "maturing." It is perhaps a softer way of communicating the aging process. It also allows me to adhere to the goal Paul set forth in Philippians 4:13 as he writes, "God's goal is for us to become mature adults...to be fully grown, measured by the standard of the fullness of Christ." (CEB)  Like Paul, I would quickly say that I have not attained this maturity, but am continually striving towards it. 

If indeed, God's goal is for us to mature in our faith, we must be intentional about the process.  So many things contribute to that growth.  Scripture shapes our perspective as the Holy Spirit empowers that word and its application for our daily lives.  Quiet time spent in prayer and contemplation, help focus our thoughts and actions in an often chaotic world.  Investing ourselves in community keeps us connected to those who share a faith in Christ, providing a platform through which we are empowered to then share that faith in the world around us. This maturation process in faith includes a variety of life experiences that are both joyous and heart-breaking.  Learning that God can be at work in the midst of all things, enables next step living that trusts God in every experience.  I want to be that maturing follower of Jesus Christ, but I have a ways to go.  Again, Paul's words challenge me..."lets grow in every way into Christ." (Ephesians 4:15b)  I am maturing chronologically; my gray hair and creeking joints give evidence to this truth.  My hope is that there is evidence as well that I am maturing as a follower of Jesus.  In the end, that is a far superior goal than simply adding years.

Thanks for reading the musings of a "maturing" pastor.  See you this weekend for Mama Mia's and for worship this Sunday!

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment