Monday, March 21, 2016

Lenten Devotional...March 21

Matthew 11:28-30

“Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”
(Matthew 11:30, MSG)

Perhaps you heard your mom, a teacher, or maybe worst of all, a preacher say to you, “Be careful of the company you keep!” The implication was of course that one can easily be corrupted by the influence of others.  Surely there is truth in that warning, but might it also be said that the reverse can be true as well.  A good influence can indeed challenge one in positive ways.

The Message translation of today’s text is evidence of this.  By keeping company with Christ, one has the opportunity to learn and grow in ways that are not only beneficial to self, but others as well.  I like the outcome here of keeping company with Jesus…to learn to live freely and lightly.”  In the busyness of our lives, wouldn’t we love to live freely and lightly?  “Come to me,” Jesus said, “and I will give you rest.”  Sounds like good company to me!


Prayer: Lord Jesus, may I keep company with you, and learn to live freely and lightly.  Amen.

Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment