Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Lenten Devotional...March 16

Colossians 4:6

“Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how your ought to answer everyone.”

I may sound here like the old fogey I fear I am becoming, but it seems to me that there is something missing from many of our conversations these days.  Now, I have always been a bit suspicious of statements that communicate things aren’t like they used to be, as if they were always better in the past.  Constantly looking at life through the rear view mirror does not give one a healthy perspective for contemporary living. That said, allowing me just a moment on my nostalgic high horse, it seems to me that there is less grace in our conversations today.  We seem to make assumptions that put others at a disadvantage before the first word is ever spoken.  The benefit of the doubt is lost in the midst of such self-serving, self-absorbed discussion, and dialogue actually becomes monologue.

The Message translation perhaps communicates more positively than my curmudgeonly way.  “Be gracious in your speech.  The goal is to bring out the best in others in a conversation, not put them down, not cut them out.”  Young, old, yesterday, tomorrow, and certainly today, that has been, will be, and is now good advice.

Prayer: Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. Amen.


Jim Abernathy

No comments:

Post a Comment